When Laurie and I were first invited to start Marriage Mentoring at McLean Bible Church we didn't know what we were doing nor did we know anything about it. Through the expert shepherding of our then Pastor Jim Supp we went forward anyway.
What exists now is what's become Marriage Mentors United and it is nothing short of miraculous.
In the ten years since we started we've an amazing group of dedicated lay leaders – called Marriage Mentors – who have done marvelous things at their churches. Today, Marriage Mentoring is alive and well at three McLean Bible Church campuses, New Life Wesleyan in La Plata, Maryland, and Centreville Baptist Church in Centreville, Virginia. It is through God’s Grace and for God’s Glory and the Purpose of the Gospel of Jesus Christ that they all are succeeding so well. We are truly humbled.
Several tenets of what we do and why we do it come to mind. Some are that we believe that have everything we need from God to mature into being more Godly Christ-Followers and Believers. We all have:
1) The blood of Christ Son-of-God shed on the Cross as final, ultimate payment for our sins once and for all and our Belief in His Resurrection
2) The work of the Holy Spirit to develop us into more complete followers of Christ and
3) Work set ahead of us to do. I draw on this from several Scripture references of which there are many. So far though my favorites ... well, my favorites for today anyway 🙂 include:
- His divine power has given us everything we need for a godly life ... make every effort to add to your faith …goodness and knowledge. 2 Peter 1:3-8
- …let us leave the elementary doctrine of Christ and go on to maturity…for God is not unjust so as to overlook your work and the love that you have shown for His name in serving the saints. Hebrews 6: 1, 10
- … not that men should boast…For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.” Ephesians 2:8-10
- … I will show you my faith by my deeds … faith without deeds is useless. James 2:18-20
- … not many of you should become teachers … James 3:1
That last one serves as a warning to all of us, not least of which is me!
Long ago I gave my life to Christ. Since then through many, many episodes – good, bad and some very ugly – I have seen God’s Handiwork and Christ’s presence in my life. During several times, I’m sure I was not Christ-like. But here we are.
If God can do for us what he did back then, everyone reading this will have no problem at all turning your situation around or just developing it into the next step. Trust me, I know these things. If you are in one of those churches mentioned earlier or live nearby go seek out those folks and ask about Marriage Mentoring. Trust me – you’ll be glad you did.
In His service,